Saturday, May 8, 2010

Making Recycled Paper

Hello reader,
On Thursday I learned how to make your own paper in Biology class (yes I do independent study but I go to a Biology class once a week). I figured I would share this technique to those of you who are crafty and would like to do this.

Needed:
Scraps of white paper
Colored paper (optional)
Water
A blender
Two small screens
A towel
An iron

The first step is to get some wet, torn up paper (usually white) and you can add torn colored paper to add some "pizazz" to it. I chose to add mostly blue construction paper with it and some green.

You then put it in a blender and add some water to it. Keep blending it until it gets really mushy. You may have to stop the blender a few times and mix it around because the paper usually gets stuck during the blending process. Usually "pulse" is the best setting to use.

Once you do that, you take it all out of the blender and spread it between two screens. Press some newspaper or any type of paper to get the water out. After most of the water is out, take a towel, put it over your concoction (of course without the newspaper you used to dry it with) and press an iron down repeatedly on it until it is warm and dry. Peel it off the screen and then set it in the sun for a few hours.

And there you have your recycled paper! You can make your own cards with it and where I live if you sell this, it can get pretty expensive. So now you can make your own!

Here's a picture of how my paper turned out:

No comments:

Post a Comment