Saturday, May 1, 2010

Movie Review: Pan's Labyrinth


Ofelia loves fairy tales, her mother and her unborn brother. She, however, does not like her new stepfather who is the captain that hunts down the resistance left over from the Spanish Civil War five years earlier. Ofelia's mother grows ill from the baby and there are many complications involving the pregnancy. While worrying, she meets several magical creatures including a faun who believes her to be the lost princess Moanna. He gives her three tasks so that she may return to her father's realm. Warning: this film is in Spanish.


Thank the goddess for subtitles because or else I would have no idea what was going on. True, I was in Spanish 2 but, a Spanish film is difficult to follow if you can't understand most of the words. While reading the subtitles, I was immersed in the story. I loved the idea of Pan and the secret world and the missing princess.


The make-up and special effects were amazing. I loved the faun's costume. Did anyone else know that the man who played the faun had no idea how to speak Spanish before getting this role? He did an awesome job.


I felt so passionate for the movie that I was ranting to my mom that I just wanted her stepfather to die. I hoped that he died at the end of the movie. It takes a really great film for me to get passionate about it and wish one of the characters dead.

I loved this movie and if you're into foreign films and reading subtitles along with a mythical movie plot this is the movie for you.

P.S. I thought the girl who played Ofelia was very well-casted. She played such a cute and caring character.

I'd give this movie an A in my opinion.
Maybe I'll come up with some rating system for this blog like I have in The Witch Reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment