Saturday, June 12, 2010

Book Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Warning: The Reckoning is the 3rd book in a trilogy. You must read The Summoning and The Awakening to understand what is going on.

Summary:
Chloe lived a normal teenaged life in a film school, that is, until she started seeing ghosts. After seeing another ghost and that resulting in a breakdown, she was sent to live in Lyle House (a home for "troubled teens"). Deemed a schizophrenic, Chloe just wanted to take her meds and be a good girl so they will let her go. Of course that didn't last long after she found out about the real "uniqueness" of her fellow troubled teens.

After being on the run from the Edison Group (the people who ran Lyle House and who wants to kill these genetically inhanced supernaturals), they think they found safety and someone to help find Simon's dad. Although, things are not always as they appear. And will Chloe ever be normal or will she be driven crazy by "the curse of necromancy"?

Review:
I absolutely loved the first two books and was anticipating this book for a long time. I'm sorry to say that it disappointed me a bit. I loved how Chloe got with the boy I wanted her to get with but the ending was really loose. It left questions unanswered especially the "will Chloe ever be normal?" question. It made me think, "THAT's the ending? To the WHOLE trilogy?"

It did have quite a few good merits though, and I liked how you could see improvement in the characters, especially Tori and Derek. I really enjoyed the book and it left me laughing a lot out of my weird sense of humor. I loved the supernatural scenes (especially with Derek's wolfy-ness).

All in all if you can handle it not having much of a complete ending, I would recommend this trilogy. The writing is addicting and so is the storyline.

I'd give The Reckoning:

7 Whiskers!
I'd give the trilogy as a whole:
8 Whiskers!

No comments:

Post a Comment